Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Follies ~~ Home to Virginia & my beloved mountains without a bike!


This is gonna hurt.  As you read this, I will be walking the grounds of Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley.  I’ll be there for a family occasion, and a joyous one.  But I will be there without a bicycle.

This afternoon, I will be standing on a hillside, on the farm, outside of Mount Solon.  It’s only a short ride to Natural Chimneys Park.  From that hillside, I will be able to look up, and in a scanning gaze, I’ll see Buffalo Gap, Reddish Knob, the Massanutten, the Blue Ridge Range, and the Appalachians.  It’s some of the most scenic country on the planet, and it includes some of the best riding on the continent.

Perhaps I’ll go into the “big city” of Harrisonburg, on Saturday, and visit Shenandoah Bicycle Company.  They advertise rentals.  I might even be able to rent a wreck and do a bit of riding.  If not, this is going to be worse than Moses.

You remember Moses?  After wandering around in the desert for 40 years, dealing with a bunch of yahoos and a world of hassles, he gets to see the Promised Land, but he doesn’t get to enter it.

Honest folks, there’s no place like home, and I can’t wait to get there.  Or here!


No comments:

Post a Comment