Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thursday Thoughts ~~ I think I’ll build a bike or two


I don’t really know where these ideas come from.  Earlier this year, I got the idea of “thinning the herd” a bit.  I wanted to make some space, you see.  So I decided to hold a contest to give a couple of bikes away.  Of course, one of those bikes wasn’t even built yet, but I had the frames, and I had plenty of parts.

I had the thought to get rid of the big single speed mountain bike, and possibly replace it with something a bit more utilitarian.  What follows are things that proceed directly from those thoughts.

Regular readers of this blog will be familiar with the “Lady Grand Prize” Project.  It’s nearing completion.  The frame work is done.  Assembly starts this coming weekend.

Meanwhile, I’m at work on something close to a “Swiss Army Bike.”  I use that term, not to denote anything connected with Switzerland’s military forces, but rather as a parallel to the famed multi-bladed everything-tool.  The fabled Swiss Army Knife was the ancestor of all modern multi-tools.

I often caution prospective bike buyers against attempting to purchase a Road-Mountain-Time-Trial-BMX-Commuter-Racing bike.  Generally, it’s good to focus on a given purpose.  Bicycles, by their very nature are pretty versatile.  In fact many owners never appreciate just how much their bikes can actually do.

Now, think about a few enticing components.  SRAM has a new hub out.  It’s called the Torpedo.  It does a slick trick.  It can be a freewheel single-speed hub, or a fixed gear hub, with just the flick of a screwdriver.  Pretty cool.  Keep dreaming.

Surly has had a cyclocross/touring/commuting frame for years.  They call it the “Cross Check.”  Lately, they’ve brought out a varient of this frame, with the fabled S&S stainless steel couplers.  This one is called the “Traveler’s Check,” and it has the same features and geometry as the Cross Check.  The significant thing about the coupled frame is that it makes it possible to disassemble the bike, and pack it in an airline allowable luggage piece.

The frame is capable of being built up with a fully geared driveline, but as a “travel bike,” it would be a lot more convenient without.  So that’s how I’m going to start.

Pictures and more details on both new builds next week.

Funny how thoughts and dreams have a habit of manifesting themselves in “reality.”


No comments:

Post a Comment