Friday, July 23, 2010

Friday Follies ~~ Cleaning the Shop


The word “shop” can be interpreted a lot of different ways.  (English is such an incredible language!)  I maintain and operate a considerable repair, maintenance, and fabrication shop at my home.

Over time, projects tend to happen.  Sometimes a very necessary overhaul will occur at the same time that a prolonged “build” is taking place, and then several repairs interrupt both of these.  New projects are often conceived and start execution here.  Tools are selected for remote projects or events, and parts and supplies tend to pile up, in between jobs.  The “fleet” is stored here, mostly hanging, but some at ground level.

In short, it can get a bit messy.

From time to time, it becomes necessary to clean things up, to restore order, to add organization.  At times like this, “cleaning the shop” becomes a shop project in itself.

Questions arise, such as,  “Just where will I store that?”  Or, “Should I finally throw these old center-pull brakes out?”  Or,  “What on Earth am I going to do with all those old 27” wheels?”  And,  “Where in the wide world am I ever going to find a place to store all these tires?

Frames lurk under stacks of boxes.  Parts cover the benches and tables.  Tools are beginning to pile up on the main bench.

When it gets hard to get to the big vise, or difficult to work at the truing stand, it is time to clean up!

One of the problems with cleaning the shop, aside from the time it takes, is that there is a tendency for the clean up project to spawn other projects.  Sometimes these are so compelling that they divert attention from the original purpose.

I’ve been known to embark on a general cleanup and organization, stop part way through, because I found a part or two that would be just perfect as part of a new concept.  Before I know it, there are two bicycles partially disassembled, and three on the way to becoming.  The mess is worse, but there will be three “new” bikes at the end.

I’m sort of in the middle of one of those times now.  That’s odd.  Usually large shop projects take place in the Winter, when time doesn’t press so heavily, and it’s a bit easier to decide not to ride.

But yes, I am in the midst of cleaning the shop.  So don’t bother to come near it.  Tiptoe past.  Please don’t give me any excuse to stop the work.  I find enough of those without any outside distractions.

NOTE:  See this coming Monday’s post for full details on the upcoming MidSummer’s Eve Night Ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment