Monday, May 31, 2010

Amateurs


That word is often used as a slight.  It can signify lack of expertise.  But the word has a meaning.  It means, simply lover of.  An amateur cyclist is a lover of cycling.

I work to cultivate that amateurism.  I love my work.  I love riding.  I love good bikes.  On the other hand, I’m a professional.  That means I get paid for my work.  (Not a lot, mind you.)  I have the happy situation of being paid to work on bikes and with bike people.

The largest number of my clients are also amateurs.  They are doing this stuff because they love it.

Another sense of the word amateur, is volunteer.  In this sense, our military are amateurs.  We have an all-volunteer force.  We have had to resort to conscription in the past.  Hopefully this won’t happen again.  For now, our whole military are volunteers.  They are there because they choose to be there.  They serve out of love of country.  They choose a work that is poorly paid, difficult, demanding, and dangerous.  They may, as a result of that choice, be called to make enormous sacrifices, possibly to give their very lives.  They stand between us and “war’s desolation.”  They protect and defend us.

Many have fallen so that we may stand.

Never forget them.

No comments:

Post a Comment