Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday Follies ~~ Ride Long Enough and Everything Happens to you…


(See the post from 5/4/10 for Audax 200K details)

There was a time when I seemed to break chains a lot.  I finally figured out that if I stopped “power shifting” this didn’t happen.  Chains can take an enormous amount of power, but they don’t react well to impact.

Then I went through the “Time of many flats.”  I sort of thought that was just the nature of the beast.  But just as I was starting to notice that most of the folks I rode with didn’t seem to have this problem, I had that day.  I started out for a nice Summer afternoon ride.  I deserved that ride.  More, I needed it.

I got about a mile into my ride when my front tire went soft.  I pulled off the road, and went to work.  I found the leak, marked it, and checked the tire.  I removed the offending hunk of debris, and completed the repair.

The next flat occurred about a mile and a half later.  I wasn’t too worried.  I had started with two spare tubes.  This time it wasn’t a puncture.  Or at least I couldn’t find anything in tire.  But there was a definite hole in the tube.  Not a big one, but it was there.

I was getting pretty hot from standing in the sun and pumping tires, but I completed the repair.

At mile five, the rear went down again.  Okay.  Deploy patch kit.  Patch a punctured spare.  Look up at the sky and say,  “I get the message.  I’m going home now.”

The fourth flat occurred about a mile later.

The fifth flat happened when I was still a mile from home.  I walked the final mile, dragging the bike with me.  As I recall I didn’t get on the bike for a week after that.

I did eventually learn that quality tires, good tubes (not the ones from the department store), and proper inflation took care of this problem.  I go years between flats.  I did double flat on a brevet a few years ago.  But that’s another story.

There was the day I was riding in the mountains.  Solo.  I was underprepared, and starting to bonk.  I needed water.  I had no idea where I was, or how far it might be to services.  I found an open store, in the middle of nowhere.  I had just walked out side and sat down with my meager purchases, when… 

A car passed by.  It had a bike on the roof rack.  The car stopped sharply just beyond the store, reversed and pulled in.  Two grinning people emerged.  “Steve!”  The leader called.

Here were a couple of folks I hadn’t seen in ages!

“Yeah.  We came up for some mountain biking, but it got rained out,”  One said.
“Rain?”  I replied, looking up at the hot sunny sky.
“Yeah, the other side of the mountain, it’s pouring!  came the reply.
So suddenly I had a reunion with old friends, a ride back to civilization, and an escape from an afternoon and evening of torrential rain.

It’s true.  Ride long enough, and good or bad, everything happens to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment