Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thursday Thoughts ~~ Seasonal Changes


There are various rites and rituals that mark the passage of the year.

Cyclists and other outdoors types have their own rituals, triggered by the seasonal changes.  I’m involved in one of those right now.  It’s the annual “Changing of the Wardrobe.”

Each year, as the Autumn advances, it becomes necessary to bring out more and more technical riding clothing.  It starts with arm warmers and vests.  By the end of December, I usually have the full range of Winter equipment out of storage, and in rotation.

Come Spring, it’s time to begin to gather stuff up, clean it, and put it away.  I’ve learned not to do this all at once.  On the other hand, it doesn’t make sense to keep everything out.  That’s kind of like leaving the Christmas lights up until Easter.

It’s complicated by our climate.  It’s an odd thing.  Here, in north Georgia, the seasons arrive exactly on time.  But inside the seasonal changes, we get weather.  To understand that last statement, consider what Robert Heinlein once said.  “Climate is what you expect.  Weather is what you get.”  My brethren and sistern, let me tell you, we do get us some weather here.  In early Spring, it’s not unusual for us to have heating and cooling degree days on the same day.  I’ve seen days that started with the temps in the low 40s, and raining, turn into sunny and 80s.

Those contortions require a bit more in the way of riding gear than just a jersey and shorts.  Still, it does warm up.

So I’ve found some useful guidelines.  When the temperature gets into the 80s and does it for three or four days (not necessarily in a row), it’s safe to put the heaviest stuff into storage.  The Winter boots, chemical warmers, heavy gloves, heavy tights, and thermal underwear can go.

I always wait until after the thermometer hits 90.  After that, I figure it’s safe to round up all the full finger gloves, the medium weight tights, the heavy jerseys, and the heavy foul weather jackets.  But I still keep a couple pair of arm warmers, some light tights, a wind vest, a light windshell jacket, and a couple of light skull caps.  I never put the light rain jacket, and helmet cover away.  But I do make sure I have plenty of sunscreen out.

I don’t put all the cool weather gear away until it hits 95 a couple of times.  And I always have a couple pairs of medium weight wool socks available.

Think that sounds a bit goofy?  I used my light tights on yesterday morning’s early ride, and my hands got pretty cold in fingerless gloves.  (Should have kept one pair of windshell gloves out!)

There are parts of this country where folks don’t have to consider stuff like this.  Southern California has a very reliable climate.  So (usually) does south Florida.  But here in north Georgia, we have to think about weather and clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment