Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Follies ~~ City


It’s high summer.  It’s warm, close to 80 degrees.  It’s also close to 03:00.  That’s three in the morning.  It can do that here.  After all, here is Dallas, Texas, and this is about the only time of the day that a cyclist can ride here.

Reunion tower is putting on its light show.  The Texas Book Depository is just behind me.  I’m cruising down the street at Dealy Plaza.  This is where it happened.  But that’s not why I’m here.

I am riding through Dallas in the night because I didn’t want to be here.  I started riding from the Texas Instruments Expressway Site.  My intention was to go to a friend’s house.  I got lost.  Then I got loster.  Eventually, I called my friend, and my wife.  I didn’t really know where I was, but I could ask.  Soon all of us managed to meet for dinner.

After a pleasant meal, I made one of the better errors of my life.  I decided that I would ride back to the TI site, retrieve my truck, and then drive home.  It didn’t work out that way.  But I got to see some interesting sights.

I don’t recommend riding a bike along Harry Hines after dark.  It may have changed now.  Then it was the place where the “street hostesses” plied their trade.  Cyclists were not particularly welcome.  Dallas can be confusing.

I did manage to find my way back to the company parking lot.  Dawn was just breaking.  I drove home, showered, and went to work.

Some of my co-workers noticed that I was pretty tired that day.  They asked why, and what I’d done the night before.  “You wouldn’t understand,”  I said.  I’m not sure I do myself.  It’s just something that I have to do from time to time.


Contest Info:  Watch this space.  Next week I'll put up the rules, and the actual contest entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment