Thursday, May 16, 2013

Thursday Thoughts: A Fantasy


A couple of days ago there was a huge incident on I-75.  It blocked traffic in both directions, and fouled things up for hours.  I wasn’t traveling on the highway that day, but it reminded me of another time.

I was returning from a long driving trip.  I was coming into Atlanta from the north east, moving briskly along on I-85.  Traffic had been light down from the Carolinas, but it was picking up as I neared the outskirts of the metro area.  I was looking forward to getting home and getting out of the truck.  I had the thought,  “It’s Sunday afternoon.  Traffic shouldn’t be too bad.  Home soon.”

I passed the perimeter junction.  Traffic was, by then heavy, but moving.  Then I got to the merge for the connector.  Brake lights!  Full stop.  Five minutes later I heard the traffic report.  “Big jam downtown, take alternates.”  Now that was helpful.  Nothing around me was moving, and I could not get to an exit.  It took me three hours to cover the next 30 miles.  Two and a half hours of that were spent just getting below the “split.”

It occurred to me that I was moving at a much lower speed than casual cycling.  I had the thought (and not for the first time) that these interstates would be so much more fun and so much faster on a bike.  If only there were no cars here.

I started to imagine that, and suddenly saw a vision.  Imagine if there was one, just one lane of the urban interstate system that was dedicated to cyclists.  It would have to be barrier-protected, but what if?

What if I had a dedicated lane?  What if, I was in dense cycle traffic, in a lane dedicated to cycling.  That would allow about eight bikes to ride abreast.  On such a lane, it would be so easy to cruise along at 15 to 20 mph.  And what if the “Bikintersate” became crowded?  Wouldn’t that imply a lot less traffic on the motor lanes?  Certainly it would be more interesting.  The cyclists could actually talk to each other.

Wouldn’t this make so much more sense than constructing a “Lexus Lane”?


Your thoughts, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment