Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I Hate following my own advice! (Week 4)


A Diary of Injury Recovery IV

Make a Plan
Act on it
Test and Measure
Correct and Adjust

Those four steps outline a good method for accomplishing almost anything.  In this case, we’re talking about the process of planning and executing a recovery from injury.

Today marks the fourth week since I fell and cracked a rib.  I’ve already mentioned that the healing process seems to be going well, that it was time to start planning my recovery work.  In doing so, I will be adhering to the four step method outlined above.

It’s not possible to do a complete, long-term plan for an injury recovery.  To do so is to invite trouble.  The problem is that injuries don’t always follow a smooth and linear path to full restoration.  There can be setbacks.  It is possible to miscalculate and over, or under work the recovery.  So part of the Plan has regular periods of assessment and evaluation built into it.  The idea is to apply calculated loads, and then observe and measure the result.  If the body is responding well, good.  If the body shows a negative response, or a setback, the Plan must be adjusted.

I’ve made my initial plan.  It consists of the three week periods.  At the end of each week, I will be evaluating.  Is it working?  Are there symptoms of having gone to far, too hard, too fast?  At the end of each three week period, I’ll be doing some testing.  Will the body take a slightly increased performance load without undue pain or other symptoms.  If so, then the next three week period can be implemented.

If, at any time I experience a setback, then the Plan must be altered and reset to allow for it.  The idea is to recover and heal, not to conform blindly to a schedule.

The Plan
1)   Stretching and flexibility:  I’m adding a bit more stretching exercise, and doing so cautiously.
2)   Core Strength:  After the third week (Injury + 7 weeks) I will begin to add some core and abs strengthening work.
3)   Bike Work:  Increase cycling activity, focusing on volume first.  No more than a 5% increase per week, and no more than a 10% increase on any given day.  (Intensity and interval training will have to wait until after the first of the three week periods.)

This post marks a milestone of sorts.  I won’t be doing these on a daily basis now.  I will keep you updated on progress, but only on a weekly basis.

BTW, two features of this first week of active recovery include The Ride of Silence on Wednesday of this week, and a planned Commute on this coming Friday.

For all of you who have contacted me with notes of concern and support, please accept my heartfelt and humble thanks.



Timeline
Wed 8 May:  Did a light (and short) morning spin.  Time to begin developing a fitness recovery plan. 
Thurs 9 May:  Mowed the front lawn.  I led the beginner group on the Novie Road Ride for 17.1 miles.  This was the first fully “NSAID-Free” day!  (Not pain free)
Fri 10 May:  An easy and needed gentle post work ride of 11.2 miles.  Continued “NSAID-Free”
Sat 11 May:  Did 19.5 miles of easy riding on the Saturday Morning Path Rides.  Still a bit stiff and sore, but still “NSAID-Free”
Sun 12 May:  Did household chores and a 21.1 mile pleasant afternoon ride.  Wanted to do more!
Mon 13 May:  Rest and recovery.  No training or exercise.  
Tues 14 May:  Begin light recovery training.

No comments:

Post a Comment