Monday, May 13, 2013

I Hate following my own advice! (Week 3)


A Diary of Injury Recovery III

I’m posting this series in the hope that it will be helpful and instructive for others.

Below you’ll see the “Diary” continuing.  The idea here is that I’m constantly evaluating the state of healing.  I want to stay active enough to promote faster healing, without do enough to aggravate the injury.  There’s nothing big here, but a lot of smaller milestones.

Note the entry for Monday.  Things are looking up, and it is time to begin to plan a bit more active recovery.  That will be the topic of the next post.

Time Line:
Wed 1 May:  Did my day at work and then led the Wednesday Evening Path Ride.  The ride was 10.7 miles at a recreational and easy pace.  I felt just it.  I wasn’t in great pain, but I wasn’t happy either.  It was good to be on the bike, but…

Thurs 2 May:  My day off.  I took it easy, rested, and continued popping anti-inflammatory pain relievers.  I was only feeling slight stiff, so I went out and led the Novice Road Ride.  I chose a somewhat hilly route, but kept he effort level down.  Ached a bit while riding, but the 16.8 miles went okay.  Only aches after

Fri 3 May:  Rode an easy, post work 11.8 miles in a relaxed hour, on the road.  It was good to be able to breath (but not deeply).

Sat 4 May:  The morning rides were rained out, and I was kinda glad.  No other riding or workouts.  I was restless, but I slept okay.

Sun 5 May:  Decided to stretch out a tiny bit.  Rode an easy 18.9 miles in just under two hours.  It was good to be out in the sun, and I needed  it!

Mon 6 May:  No exercise except beginning modified and light stretching.  That went okay.  It’s time to start thinking and developing a “Recovery Training Plan.”

Tues 7 May:  Very light and short spin before work in the morning, followed by light stretching.  Then a one hour easy road ride, post-work.  All went well.

No comments:

Post a Comment