Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thursday Thoughts: Statements


I read an interesting article a couple of years ago.  It was about people and their driving habits.  One of the little factoids in the article stated that if a person had three or more bumper stickers on their car, they were prone to be aggressive and/or erratic drivers.  The more bumper stickers, the more likely the display of anti-social driving acts.  We’re talking about speeding, cut-offs, running traffic signals, lane forcing, tailgating, all of those overt and frequently hostile acts a driver can commit.  Seems that if a driver was making a lot of “statements” on the back of the car, they were more likely to make some rather bold “statements” while operating it.

I’ve found, in an unscientific fashion, that this little bit of wisdom holds generally true.  See a lot of stickers on a car, and watch out!  That driver is going to do something bold and stupid.

Some cars make “statements.”  I’m talking about makes and models.  Likely some of you have observed this.  There are cars that say,  “Look at me!  I’m special.  Often these are driven in a way that indicates the operators feels that the ordinary laws and customs don’t apply to them.  They obviously feel that they are special, and above the ordinary constraints. 

This is useful.  As vehicle operators, we are better able to avoid trouble if we can predict what other operators are about to do.  Even the ability to predict that actions are liable to be unpredictable is useful.

To operating a vehicle in traffic is to engage in a constant non-verbal conversation with other operators.  This signal means that I intend to turn that way.  Those lights on the back of that truck mean that it is slowing down or stopping.  See that driver?  The one with poor lane control and erratic speed?  Likely they are under the influence, or texting, or in some difficulty.  Better watch them and give a bit more room.

Cyclists make statements too.  The very act of riding a bicycle in traffic is one kind of statement.  To many motorists, that statement is,  “I am an obstruction.  I am slow and in the way.”  To others it is something like,  “Watch out!  I’m completely unpredictable!”

To other cyclists, a rider in traffic may be saying,  “Look at me!  I’m fast!  Or,  “This bike is nicer (and faster) than anything you have, and it costs more too!  I’m special.  It’s equally likely that the statement might be,  “I haven’t a clue what I’m doing out here, and I wish I was still back on the trail!  Please don’t kill me!”

The thing is, most non-cyclists (and many cyclists) are incapable of reading such subtleties.  Or they misinterpret them.  My touring bike is a bafflement to many of my riding friends, and to most “civilians” it’s seen as a “racing bike”!  Utility cycling is almost unheard of in this locale.  I’ve been in a group of riders who were surprised when I pointed out that I was on a fixed gear bike.  (Subtle differences are by definition not obvious.)  Some statements are more of a whisper than a shout.

There are those, in public life, who like to assume that the act of riding a bicycle automatically puts the rider in their political camp.  (Don’t worry.  I said I wasn’t going to get political here.)  Most often, these political folks are making a false assumption.  Cycling cuts across all political and economic lines.  But still, the statement is assumed to be made.

I’ve experienced it.  I’ve had various folks say to me, words to the effect of,  “Well of course you are for (insert particular political cause)…  You ride a bicycle.  When I choose to respond, my response is often a shock to the listener.  (If you’ve had a similar experience, I’d like to hear about it.)

What are you saying to the world when you are on your bicycle?  Is your message being received?

It’s probably a good thing that bicycles don’t have bumpers and trunks.  There’s no place on a bike to display causes, and that’s as it should be.

~/~

The Wise Cyclist:  Enjoy the sunshine, and plan for the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment