Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I REALLY WANT TO KNOW!!


Last night was the annual Fall Equinox Celebration Ride.  It’s a good thing to mark these cardinal points in the passing of the seasons.  This time the ride was just a couple of days short of the actual Equinox (falling in the early morning of 23 Sept.), and right at the meteorological turning of the seasons.  If you’ve spent any time outside lately, you can see and feel it.  Summer is done.  Fall is upon us.  Winter is coming.  So…

I always try to approach this time with a mixture of enjoying it thoroughly (it is a good time!) and making preparations for that which is coming.  In that spirit, I’m really curious about what others are doing to prepare for the time ahead.  I’d really like to hear from a lot of you about this.

What projects do you have planned for the coming fall and Winter?  Are you getting a new bike?  Are you learning something new.  Do you have an old rig that you are updating?

What goals are you looking at for next year?  Are you taking steps toward them?  What?  How?

Are you changing a fitness routine?  How are you doing that?  What problems are you having?  How do you plan to meet them?

What dreams do you have for the near, intermediate, and long term future?

Let’s get some conversations going.


4 comments:

  1. Whar be t' Autumnal Equinox Celebration Ride Report?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm prepping for CX season. Unfortunately, prepping has largely meant changing tires. I think I'll be racing into shape rather than starting the season off great. I had a really strong July and August, and have done a fair bit of laurel-resting this September. My goal is to race six races this year, and I had set a goal of finishing in the top third at least once. (I was dead-mid pack in the two categorized races I finished last year). I've tried putting a bit of hill running into my weekly routine, and my feet have reminded why I gave up running for cycling in the first place.

    I'm genuinely bummed I missed the dirt road practice (and will be unable to hit the sequel either). I've added increasing stretches of gravel to my road rides lately. This past Saturday I did a seven mile stretch with my 'cross tires instead of the road tires, and BOY! What fun! If I hit 25mph on a downhill, I start to feel squirelly, but I was going that fast on (nearly) flat gravel without even realizing it. (The barking dog giving chase may have had only a little to do with that.) The only drawback was the dusty throat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've learned that I can't get home from work in time these days to get in more than an hour's ride. So, my Fall upgrade will be to add a headlight to my inventory of bike stuff. There are a lot of choices out there - anyone have suggestions?

    ReplyDelete