Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thursday Thoughts: Pause


The “sunset spot” at the lake was almost deserted when we rode by last night.  Sunsets are getting earlier.  About two weeks ago, we rode up to that point, by the dock, just as the sun was sliding into the trees on the far side of the lake.  For most of the Summer, as we’ve approached the location, we’ve encountered lots of folks, and found quite a gathering waiting there.  Last night, the show was over by the time we arrived.  Only a couple of stragglers were left.

During the Fall and Winter months, there is hardly anyone out by the time we reach the docs.  It’s not that our timing varies.  We’re always there between 7:45 and 7:50, but the season moves on, and the big attraction takes place much earlier in the evening.  One has to get out a bit earlier to see the show now.  So we cyclists pause at that spot, catch our breath, and move on, almost unremarked now.

At the other end of the day things are similar.  It’s been a while since I’ve ridden the sun up into the sky.  These days my early morning rides end about the time of the “false dawn.”  I’ll get a brief reprieve in a few weeks.  When we go off of Saving Time, I’ll be coming in just before sunrise.  If I tarry a little bit, I can arrange to be in a good location and catch a sunrise or two from the bike.  Of course, that means I’ll be a little bit late for the rest of the early morning chores and commitments.  In my estimation, it’s worth it.

Winter gives me a few more sunrises.  Old Sol comes up behind me on one particular section of my ride to work.  If I can arrange it, I’ll put some coffee in an insulated bottle or thermos, leave a bit earlier, and hit the ideal hillside before the event.  I’ll pull off the road, pour a cup, and salute the new day, watching the sun rise in glory.

For some reason, cycling to see the sun come up, or to watch it descend, is a good and fitting thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment