Thursday, September 22, 2011

Thursday Thoughts: Early


It’s fairly easy to do an early ride in the Summer.  By 05:00 the sky is beginning to hint at dawn, and the sun is rising by the time I pull back in between 06:00 and 06:30.  By this time of year, it seems as if the same time is the middle of the night.  More, it’s getting so it’s kinda cool out there.  I don’t mean “cool” as in “groovy,” or “sweet,”  or “rad.”  No.  It’s cool in the sense that it’s approaching being chilly out.

I check the weather, and check my big dial thermometer.  I estimate humidity and cooling rates.  I dress accordingly.  Don’t want to be too warm when I get on the bike.  Don’t want to sweat and then chill.  So I start out chilly, and with lights burning.  The body warms.  Suddenly, I’m a bit too warm.  Open zippers.  The air rushes in, and I cool.  Maybe a bit too much.  Quick, find a hill to climb, and close some zippers!

Be sure the tail light is working.  Pull on the reflective gear.  Seems like a lot for a “simple” bike ride.

Why bother?

Well, it’s quiet.  I like quiet.  Don’t seem to get enough of it.  I like looking up at the stars.  Is anybody up there looking back?  It’s a time when I don’t have to interact with other people.  I need that.

Please don’t misunderstand.  I’m fairly gregarious by nature.  But I’m exposed to a lot of people on a daily basis.  I need solitary time.

And the major payoff?  There aren’t a lot of folks out in cars.  I can ride for as much as a half hour, even 45 minutes, without seeing or hearing a car.  These early mornings are a time when it’s possible to imagine a calmer, quieter, better world.

No comments:

Post a Comment