Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Courtesy or Insanity?


It would be good to get some discussion going on this one.  I am at a bit of a loss.

Here’s the scenario.  A cyclist, or a small group of cyclists is riding on the road.  Traffic is light to moderate.  A driver approaches the cyclists from behind.  The motorist pulls out to pass the cyclists.  This isn’t going to be a “buzz pass.”  No.  The motorist pulls completely into the opposing lane, and accelerates hard.  But wait!  There is a car coming in that lane.  Suddenly there are two motorists “playing chicken” alongside a group of cyclists.

Does the oncoming motorist slow down?  Rarely, and not by much.

Does the passing motorist slow down?  Not at all! 

Is it a very close call?  You betcha!

Does it matter if there is a double line, indicating a no passing zone?  Not even slightly!

Is this an infuriating and potentially deadly scenario?  Without question!

Going back a ways, I rarely saw this kind of behavior.  Seems to me that it’s become much more common.  I think I started to see the increase in this kind of thing about the time that discussion of the “Three Foot Rule” became public and spirited.  I know that I’ve seen a lot more of these particular incidents in the last year, and they seem to be increasing.  It’s only a matter of time.  Somebody is going to get hurt.

Worse, in almost every one of these incidents, if the motorist waits only a few more seconds, they would have a clear and safe pass available.  The risk is huge, and the reward is very small.

Why are they doing this?  How do we calm this stuff down?  What do you think?  Does anyone have anything constructive to suggest?

1 comment:

  1. I think this just has to do with education. I believe it is FAR too easy to get a driver's license; there are situations on the road (not including this one of course) that even as someone with 20 years of driving, I don't know the appropriate protocol. In light of the new three feet law, I'd like to see kind of education campaign. Maybe if the SSCC wrote a column for the local papers explaining the new law, why it is important, and how to safely drive around cyclists, it could help. Personally, I'd like to see someone with some money do a real ad campaign on tv and radio, but that is probably too much to hope for. (I even have the hook: ads with kids saying "my daddy/mommy is a cyclist")

    ReplyDelete