Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday Follies ~~ The Long Road


I’ve done a lot of century (and longer) rides.  All are memorable, but some much more than others.  I’ve met people out on the road, and become friends with them.  Some of those friendships have endured for years.  Others lasted only until the end of the ride.

A partial list would include:
The “First Adult Century” (recounted elsewhere)
The first mountain century
The first truly flat century
My first century with my daughter
The first century on a single speed bike
The first century on a fixed gear
The first attempt at a double century (a disaster)
The Mount Mitchel Stupidity
The unforgettable, “Is that Snow!?” ride
The first successful double century (victory snatched from the jaws of defeat)
The “Oh Susana” ride (It rained all night the day I left, the weather it was dry!)
The “Done by One” ride (Done in under five hours)
The “I’m back” 100 (done on the Wilson 100, six months to the day after surgery)
The “What am I doing here” 100  (It’s a long story)
The first “Penance Ride”
The unintended “Let’s see where this goes” 105
The “always let Greg pull, but never let him navigate” 200K
And, of course, a mixed bag of “Death Marches” and “Rolling Parties”

I’m hoping that many of you will be adding tomorrow to your list of memorable rides.  Come on out and do the Tour of Faith tomorrow.  Make some memories of your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment