Monday, August 16, 2010

Century Wrap Up:


If you’ve been hiding under a rock, Saturday was the annual Tour of Faith Ride.  Lots of stuff going on.  I was a bit disappointed in the turnout.  I think the threat of weather was the primary reason we had fewer riders this year.  The forecast promised, and then threatened  rain.  This dissuades a lot of folks.  (I’ll treat that tomorrow.)  On the other hand, we had a strong showing, and a lot of folks rode the shorter routes, especially the “60 mile loop.”  (Just in case anyone was wondering, the “60” is, by very deliberate design, almost exactly 100 kilometers.)

The morning was cloudy, overcast, and a bit misty.  It was very humid, but not especially hot.  In other words, very good riding conditions were available.

Around 11:00, the overcast lightened up, and the heat came on.  I was sad to see several riders abandon due to heat stress.  It cheered me that they were in good spirits overall, but I feel for folks who have to withdraw, for any reason.  Oddly, thanks to the afternoon rain, heat stress wasn’t a problem after about 1:00 P.M.

I must say, the rest stop folks were awesome, cheering the riders, holding bikes, feeding, and just pampering riders.  Wonderful job all.  I’d like to extend a special thanks to the New Hope Baptist Crew, who stood huddled in the pouring rain, to be absolutely certain that no rider was left untended on the course.

Those who rode seemed to have a grand time.  I received a lot of compliments, and just about no complaints.  Also, I did not have to chase down a single “lost” or off course rider.

I’m also very impressed by the “press on regardless” fortitude displayed by the 100 mile riders.  Good job, Folks!

And listen, if you haven’t tried a 100 mile ride, this is the one to start with.  You must pay due regard to the temperature, but this is the flattest 100 mile course in the Atlanta area, and a really good route to go for your “first 100.”  Come and join us next year!

Now it’s time to pack it up, and put it away for another year.  Time to focus on a lot of upcoming stuff.

Soon:  The Tri-Peachtree City Sprint Triathlon, the Tour to Bike MS, and the Fall Equinox Night Ride.


1 comment:

  1. I did the 60 mile loop and had a tremendous time. It was a wonderfully designed course, and you couldn't have ordered better August weather in my humble opinion. I look forward to doing the 100 miler next year.

    ReplyDelete