Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Let’s go Ride Some Gaps


I am not a native of the Great State Of Georgia.  A long time ago I chose to come here to live.  I had other choices, but this one seemed pretty good.  I am a mountaineer by birth and inclination.  So it was only natural that, as soon as I possibly could, I went to the northern part of this state and visited the mountains.  I was captivated and enthralled by the Southern Smokies.  I vowed I would get back there as soon as I could, and that I’d bring a bicycle with me.

Back in those pre-cellphone and pre-GPS days, information on good riding routes was a lot more sketchy than it now is.  I looked around, and found a recommended route in a guidebook.  That route was out of a town called Dahlonega.

It was difficult to find Dahlonega, and that should have given me a clue.  I spent a large part of the day lost, and then a large part of the day climbing.  The experience was incredible!

A short time later, I heard about a new ride.  (In this case a new supported and organized ride.)  It would be held in the mountains, one that would start/finish in Dahlonega.  It was called The Six Gap.  I went and did it.  It was a good ride, somewhat indifferently supported (remember this was a long time ago!), through some spectacular country.  There were two distance options on that ride, a “Triple Gap 50” and the “Six Gap 100.”  On that day I chose to do the shorter option.  I fell in love with that route, and kept the cuesheet.  I returned to ride that same itinerary on many occasions.  To me, that route is the original Triple Gap Loop.

That “Original” route is the one I use when I go up to ride those mountians.  It has a certain charm.  It starts right in the center of Dahlonega.  I can’t explain why, but I like starting from inside the town.

From the start, there’s a brief excursion out to the “big road,” a quick turn and a downhill run past the WalMonster, and then…  we’re in it!  There’s a stout climb, one that has unsaddled more than one rider.  More than once I’ve heard the question here,  “Which gap is this?  It’s not a gap, it’s just the first part of the approach climb.

The next 16 miles is punctuated with big hills, booming descents, and even a couple of flat stretches.  Then comes the turn…  THE TURN.  Turners Corner, and we turn toward Neels Gap.  From here it’s roughly six miles to the top of the first gap.  Six miles of quality climbing.  The ride has not only begun, but at this point one is in it!

August 23rd.  I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment