Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The “Wrong of Way”


It was a sunny day yesterday, a bit cool, but bright.  Near perfect conditions for a nice ride.  I had to go out at lunch and run a couple of work related errands, unfortunately in my truck.  I chose a more quiet and residential route back to the shop.

Ahead of me was a cyclist.  He was kitted out well, new and shiny tights, a bright wind jacket, and a high-end helmet were all I could see from behind.  He was on a road bike, and was riding along at a good clip.  He presented a good picture, a lean, fit rider, moving smoothly and steadily, along the right hand side of the roadway.  I had to smile.  I like seeing other riders out there, enjoying it and doing it well.

There was some light oncoming traffic, so I wasn’t in a position to force a pass.  I stayed well back, riding behind the cyclist, treating him as I would wish to be treated.  Yes, he was slowing me down a bit, but there really isn’t that much difference between 18 and 25 mph.

The opposing traffic would clear soon enough, and there was a longish straight coming up.  I planned to pass him just as soon as we both cleared the upcoming stop sign.  I began to brake for the stop a bit early, intending to give the rider plenty of room.

Oops.

The guy blew through the stop sign.  Not a hint of intention to slow down.  The motorist in the cross had to brake sharply to avoid clipping the guy, and now the intersection was fouled up.

I didn’t catch up to the rider until the end of the straight stretch.  A downhill curve was ahead.  He tucked and there was no reason to pass, and several not to.  Then he did it again.  Another stop sign, and he ran it full bore.

Long time readers will know that I’m not a happy motorist at this point.  I want to see my brother cyclists behaving and exercising good citizenship. 

I had almost caught up to the guy when he did it again.  Third stop sign in a row, and third time of total lack of regard for it.

There were a lot of yard contractors out, their trucks parked at the curbs.  That made passing more difficult.  I could have powered up and jumped, hoping that the way ahead would stay clear, but I did not have good sightlines, and I did not want to put either of us at risk, so I stayed behind the guy, well back, and just simmered.

I had my opportunity.  A clear, unimpeded road.  I pulled out and made a good clean pass.  But there was another problem coming up.  Yet another stop sign.  I was well ahead of the cyclist by this point, but he was in sight in my rearview.  I signaled my intended right turn and braked for the sign.  That was when it happened.

The guy didn’t slow down as I was making my stop.  Instead, he shot between my truck and the curb, on the right hand side!  Then he blasted through the intersection.

Folks, I ask you.  What would have happened if I hadn’t been attentive?  What if I’d been texting?  (I never do when driving, but others do.)  What if I’d been a harried and distracted mom, with kids making a ruckus in the back?  I’d signaled a turn.  I’d already completed my stop and was initiating the turn; my truck was in motion when he made this “suicide pass.”  How would this rider have fared, him doing an estimated 20mph, if I’d continued turning rather than making a hard brake stop?  Would he have survived the impact?  Would he have ended up under my wheel?  (Remember, many drivers “freeze” at an impact, feet staying on the controls, or even worse, accelerating.)

I suspect that, right about now, he’d be a minor news item, either dead or seriously injured, and all his friends would be shouting about the evil motorists who wantonly strike down riders.

“Share the Road,” only works if it works in both directions.  And reckless riding is as bad (if not worse) than reckless driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment