Monday, February 20, 2012

Ride Report: Dirt Roads


After watching the forecast all week, and declaring that I would go out on this ride regardless of the weather…  Woke up yesterday to find a somewhat inauspicious day dawning.  Wet, uck, and not very warm.

But there is this about committing to a ride.  If you do it, you just have to go!  So there was no decision to be made here.  I would saddle up and do the ride on the RD2R2-1.  (That’s Road Dragon Dirt Road Route -1)

My tourist is still down for “Big Maintenance.”  I have several other bikes that would work for this ride, but only one with fenders and some carrying capacity.  Given the day and weather, fenders and racks sounded good.  I knew I’d like to have some room for extra gear, and the fenders seemed to be a must.  That decided me.  The new commuter it would be.  It’s a heavy beast, but my purpose for this ride was in no way involved with going fast.

I spent the morning wondering who (if anyone) would show up for this thing.  Saw several other rides cancel because of weather.  I’m pleased to announce that I’m not the only nut in the barrel.  Bill and Chris showed up, and off we went.

For starters, it was drizzling, but the temperature was somewhere in the mid-fifties.  Not all bad.  By the time we got to the first dirt section on Davis Road, the rain had abated.  If it was raining, we didn’t notice it.  Concentrating on picking good lines through wet and tricky surfaces, avoiding potholes, grinding up long slippery climbs, and traversing sketchy descents will do wonders to keep you from noticing little things like light rain.

After a bit the rain really did stop, and the sun even came out for a bit.  We wandered around the southern part of the county, zipping along on the pavement, and then playing on the muddy unpaved sections.

Weather conditons did slow us a bit, so I cut the route short.  We were out there long enough, and it was getting late.  In short, we’d had just about enough fun for one day.

Bill just may have made the best statement about the whole thing.  “You know,” he said,  “this stuff adds a whole new dimension to riding.  I mean you can’t just sit there and pedal circles.  You have to pay attention!

I don’t know when I’ll do this again, but it’s certain that I will.  Next time in better weather, and on a somewhat lighter bike.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment