Thursday, February 2, 2012

Seasonal Musing


It’s Feb-U-Ugly.  I have long maintained that the second month of the year is the longest month in the calendar.  I find that people I speak with are divided into two groups.  There are those who immediately “get it,” and agree, and there are those who feel compelled to correct me, and point out that this month has fewer days than any other.  Balderdash!

Duration is perception.  All perception is subjective and relative.  Not sure you follow?  Then let us refer to the Sainted Albert Einstein.  When asked to explain his theory of relativity, Einstein recounted,  “Everything depends on the reference frame.  And time is also dependent on that frame.  In other words, the rates of time depend on the location.  If you sit on a hot stove for a few seconds, it would be an eternity.  On the other hand, an hour spent in conversation with a pretty woman goes by in an instant.  Time rates are relative to the observer and his frame of reference.”

February is a treacherous month, cold, dark, wet, gloomy, and long.

Worse, it’s impossible to escape it!  The month barely begins, and the whole world turns it’s attention to the Feast of the Prognosticating Rodent.  So one is immediately reminded of the existence of the nastiest month of the year, and its coming.

This month is not totally bad.  It’s an ideal time to plan the good parts of the year.  When one is laboring in the darkness, it is right and proper to look forward to some positive venture.

Let’s go somewhere!

On Tuesday I hinted at this.  I’m itching to get out and do some honest to goodness touring this year.  The upcoming Audax 200K and the tune ups leading up to it are a potentially good start to this.  I have some ideas for some good tours.  These could be anything from weekend excursions, to regional adventures.  Before I expound on my ideas, I’d like to hear from the congregation.

What kind of tour would you most like to be part of?  Where?  How long?  When?


2 comments:

  1. Cold, dark and wet. That's the way I think of February. Lewis Grizzard used to refer to it as "Febru-weary", for good reason.

    Bob M

    ReplyDelete