Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thursday Thoughts: Thoughts on the Bike


What do you think about when you are on your bicycle?

When I’m on the bike, I find an odd mental state.  The front of my mind is totally focused on the act of riding.  I’m observing traffic, noting road conditions, listening to the bike for problems, planning my movements.  And yet, this work is being handled by my “Robot.”  It doesn’t demand my conscious attention, until such time as something is going wrong.  So my conscious attention, and my thoughts, are given to wander around on their own.

I find that each ride tends to have a sort of mental format.

Beginning:  Thoughts still on the day, rehashing arguments, thinking about problems behind me and ahead of me.

Early Middle:  Thoughts shift to The Act of riding.  Noticing the state of the body.  Am I tired?  Why are my legs so wooden?  This saddle feels good.  Etc.

Middle:  By this time, I’m “warmed up.”  The body is working well, legs loose and strong, breathing comes easily, power is there to command.  If this is a good ride, I’ve managed to escape heavy traffic.  About the act of cycling, I can be mindful, but not thoughtful.  The world around me expands in my awareness.  It is this time, on a good ride, that the miracle happens.  It’s a Za-Zen thing.  Some would call it being in the “zone.”  Miles roll by.  Hills are there, but they roll under the bike with ease.  The world is good, life is good, all is right in the universe.  With luck, and good conditioning, this happy state can continue for quite some time.
            It is here that I can (sometimes) achieve a state of consciousness that is hard to describe.  It’s detached and reflective.  The best description I have for it is that the bike disappears beneath me, and I am thinking about thinking.  Often, I find the focus of that serene mental state is the ride itself.  Wonderful!

Late Middle:  The body starts to re-assert itself.  Fatigue is just barely beginning to break through the perception threshold.  The act of riding is enjoyable, and even the sensation of impending fatigue is a good thing.  There is power there for the summoning, strength and wind are available, but I’m beginning to notice that it will take just a bit of mental effort to call on these resources.  I notice that I’m hungry, and that I will need to either finish fairly soon, or replace water bottles.  (When did I drink all that water?)  On a really good ride, I’ve managed to stay away from traffic still, and I’m in a state of happiness.  The impending fatigue is not stress-related, and is welcomed as a deserved and proper thing.

Near the End:  Awareness of the coming end begins to creep into my consciousness.  I’m reminded of my mortality.  I slowly admit that, “no, I can not do this forever.  I shall need to stop soon.”  Time reasserts itself.  I actually begin to look forward to the ending of this, and I’m glad that it will be soon.  Minutes start to take longer.  Thoughts of schedules and duties return.  I’m aware that my backside and my wrists are sore, that my back is stiffening, and that the legs don’t have the magic power any more.  I want to get it over with.

Obviously, not all rides are long enough to manifest all of these stages.  In some I seem to go from “Beginning” directly to “Near the end.”  Sometimes traffic, companions, weather, or other factors intrude.  But there are enough of the good rides, the ones where it all falls into place, and all is right.

How do your thoughts go on the bike?


No comments:

Post a Comment