Friday, January 6, 2012

Friday Follies ~~ Maybe I’m a little Ahead of the “Curve”


Some out there my remember a little project of mine.  Last year I attempted to get some dirt road riding organized.  Over the years I’ve done a good bit of this.  Sometimes it’s a section of unpaved road on an otherwise paved ride.  Usually I’ve done this to avoid a more lengthy and less appealing end to an otherwise fun loop.  Sometimes it’s been to take a shortcut in the face of approaching bad weather.  And, on occasion, I’ve included unpaved sections because they added variety and a touch of fun, while making a particular loop feasible.

To put it mildly, I’ve met with a bit of resistance.  I am often asked before a ride,  “We’re not going to be on any dirt, are we?”  (This is usually asked with either a bit of tremble in the voice, or in a tone of defiance.)  So, I get it.  I almost always announce when there will be dirt sections.  And usually those rides are less well attended.  Hmm.

On other occasions, I’ve stated a lot of my reasons for riding road bikes on dirt and gravel roads.  I’ll do so again in the future.  But lately I’ve encountered something a bit different.  I think there is a bit of a wind of change blowing.  And it’s a larger phenomenon, not just a local one.  (It might even be a movement!)

Here’s the Evidence:

  • For several years some of the folks in Randonnuers USA have been putting on Rando type rides of 200K or more either exclusively on unpaved roads, or with a very high percentage of non-pavement in them.  More, these events have been surprisingly popular.
  • Then there is the widely reported, and apparently very popular D2R2
  • Also, in Europe, the re-inactor race L’ Eroica runs on a lot of nonpaved roads.
  • There’s a whole movement of gravel racers in the western US, such as the Barry-Roubaix  
  • Or the Big Ring Dirt Road Race Series 
  • And then, within the last week I’ve received email and verbal requests from several people about closely related topics, such as “where are the good unpaved roads to ride?”  Or,  “When are you planning to do another dirt road ride?”


I’m thinking the time may just be right to give the dirt road ride another go.  Or is this just another Folly?  What say you all?

1 comment:

  1. Count me in. One thing about the winter bike is the 35mm tires versus the 23mm. Perfect for taking that unpaved portion of Greenville Road!

    ReplyDelete