Monday, January 30, 2012

Happy Days!


The change of the calendar to a new year seems to mark a lot of new beginnings.  I’ve recently passed a few of those.

The First Mosquito Bite of the Year:  No news here, it’s been an unusually mild Fall and Winter.  (I’m still sort of waiting for Winter to actually happen.)  This one is an indicator of just how mild it’s been.  I was taking out the trash last Tuesday, and was swarmed by mosquitos.

The First Commute of the Year!  It’s late, I know.  Heaven knows I’ve really wanted to do more of this.  I’ve just had a lot of circumstances and obligations that forced me to drive instead of riding.  With most of those out of the way, Saturday was a good day to begin.  It was chilly at the beginning of the trip in, but it warmed wonderfully.  It was good to start the day on the bike, and in sunshine!

The First Ride Home Started with Daylight:  This relates to the last item.  There is a period in every Winter when my homeward trip starts out in the dark.  I always look forward to the first ride that starts in daylight.  This year it was the above mentioned.

The First Ride Without Tights:  Yes it has been mild.  This past week, it was warm enough to ride (once!) without tights.  Bare legs and comfortable in January.  Now this is why it is good to live here.

The First Fixie Ride:  Logged two hours on the fixed gear.  That was fun, and it completely trashed my legs.  Good training.  Humbling.

The First Tire Swap:  Admittedly, this is early, and I may regret it, but…  I just changed the skins on my go-to road bike from the “Winter” 700 X 25s to the “Spring/Summer” 700 X 23s.  This is way early.  I don’t usually do this until sometime in March.

There are a few more “firsts” yet to come...
  • First Ride Home Without Lights
  • First Novice Road Ride (next Sunday!)
  • First Audax Tune Up
  • First Seasonal Night Ride
  • First Ride without a jacket
  • First Ride with bare arms
  • First Ride in 80 Degrees


What are the milestones you’ve accomplished, and what are you looking forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment