Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thursday Thoughts: The Helmet Thing


In a recent news story, it was reported that actor Gene Hackman was struck by a motor vehicle while riding his bike.  The writers of that news piece also saw fit to mention that Mr. Hackman was “not wearing a helmet.”  That little bit raises several points.

Before we continue, I should qualify things a bit.  I am a firm advocate of bicycle helmets.  On several occasion helmets have made a major difference in my life.  I lead a lot of rides, and I service a lot of bikes.  I’ve seen too many crashes, and have dealt with the aftermath of a lot more of them.  I have seen a lot of folks walking around after a severe blow to the head.  On the other, hand, I know of too many incidents where the bare-headed victim did not have such a good outcome.

But here’s the odd thing.  I have seen a weary lot of news reports of cycling crashes.  In a fair number of these, the report included the line, “the cyclist was not wearing a helmet.”  The clear implication is that the lack of a helmet was the cause of the crash.  Or, more bluntly;  It’s the bicyclist’s fault!  After all, they weren’t wearing a helmet!  (Does anyone else get weary-tired of the presumption of guilt in these things?)

Let’s get something really clear.  Umbrellas don’t cause rain.  Lack of umbrellas don’t cause rain either.

In point of fact, I’ve seen a lot of riders, religiously wearing helmets, and performing acts of complete idiocy on the bike.  Fer cryin out loud!  Helmets don’t prevent crashes!  Crashes are caused by carelessness and inattention, on the part of one or more of the operators.  Let’s stop assuming that it’s always the cyclist’s fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment