Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How’s the Autumn treating you?


It won’t be long.  My schedule is such that when I ride in to work, I’m always going to be in daylight, but it won’t be long until the homeward trip ends up in the dark.  So what preparations and precautions are necessary to that kind of riding?

Tip 1) It’s not possible to carry too much lighting.  Get good lights.  They will pay you back.

Tip 2)  Be Prepared!  If you are starting a ride after 2:00 P.M., carry a light with you.  It’s just too easy to find yourself coming home in the dark.  (Remember!  We go back to Standard Time on Sunday 6 November.  After that, sunset will be before 6:00 P.M.!)

Tip 3)  Always have a “backup” light.  Carry a spare light for those times when you have problems with the “main.”  With today’s high efficiency LED systems, it’s easy and relatively inexpensive.

Tip 4)  There is no such thing as being too visible.  Reflective vests, reflective ankle bands, reflective tape, and reflectors are cheap, light, and greatly improve your visibility.  Remember!  You want motorists to think,  “What on earth is that?


I see and hear a lot of chatter about the dangers of riding at night.  Oddly, I feel a bit safer.  Usually motorists give me more room at night.  I am seldom subjected to “buzz” passes, and rarely experience the rude shouts.  Traffic is generally lighter after dark.

One issue I’ve dealt with is the dazzle of oncoming headlights.  (Somebody tell me, please, why is it that most cars have badly miss-aimed headlights?  And why are the worst offenders the ones who seem to insist on driving with their ultra-bright highbeams on?  The best solution I’ve found to this is to have two lights running, one on the bike, and another on the helmet.  As the dazzle becomes impossible, one can look down and to the right, using the helmet light to burn through the glare and locate the edge of the road.  It helps enormously to know that you are at the right hand side of the road, and not about to fall off.

NOTE: A ride report on last night’s Mid-Fall Celebration Night Ride will appear tomorrow.  It was late when I got in last night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment