Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Solstice

It’s the shortest daylight day of the year.  Congratulations!  We’ve made it to Solstice.  This is the day when the sun stops it’s southward plunge.  For the next six months each day is a bit longer than the one before.

On Winter Solstice, it always seems to me, the world takes a pause, draws in its breath, and then expells a deep sigh.  Most of the Winter is ahead of us, but we have made it this far.  Trials and troubles are always around the corner, things are never “all right,” but we will make the most of it.  We’ll be alright.

The long night is tonight.  We (some of us, anyway) will be celebrating it on bikes indoors.  I for one, will manage to go outside, on a bike, for at least a little while, on this night.  Likely that ride will be near midnight.  Rain or not.  I will ride to a quiet place, dismount, and walk into the trees.  It’s then that next Summer’s riding begins.  I’ll remember last Summer’s Solstice Celebration Night Ride.  I will pause and savor the sleep of the forest.  I’ll dedicate myself to the road ahead, then remount and ride back to light, warmth, and the coming holidays.

Two more Spin Classes before Christmas!  The last one, on this coming Thursday at 6:00 P.M., is always a special one.  We have a lot of fun, and the music is designed to match the festive spirit.  I promise, I’ll publish a playlist after the class.  (I always want this one to be a surprise.)

Christmas is almost here!  Need I say more.  Who is getting a new bike for Christmas?  Who already has?  What goodies will be under the tree?  Who’s going riding on that day.  “Hail thee festival day, we greet thee, with joy on this happy morning!”

The very good news for outdoors folk, is that it gets better now.  Most likely the extreme cold we just experienced is behind us, and won’t be repeated this year.  We’ll continue to ride the “hamsterbikes” as necessary, and a fair number of us will go out and ride the Penance Ride, on 1 January.

May the Solstice Bells ring out for us all, this night and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment