Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Looking Forward


The road edition of the Christmas Lights Rides should make a fitting end to a season of night rides.  A group of us have marked the cardinal and semi-cardinal points of the year, by riding at night.  We were out on the Summer Solstice, the Autumn Equinox, and the rough mid-point of each season.  It just so happens that the Christmas Lights Road Ride falls on the night before the Winter Solstice.  I don’t envision doing a mid-Winter night ride, so I guess, after this; we’re done until Spring.

Not that we will be done with riding, or with night riding.  There is still the Penance Ride on 1 January 2011.  That’s an auspicious way to start the coming year.  (And do be aware, if you feel you are not up for a full 100+ mile ride, there is a “bailout option,” of about 65 miles.  Both cuesheets will be available at ride time.

We’re all hopeful that the current nastiness will abate around the Christmas to New Years timeframe.  There will be Dawn Patrols throughout the Winter.  (Check the Touring Calendar to the left for dates.)

I, for one have already been hitting the trainer.  I plan to do my annual refresher training on rollers in the near future.  Trainers, rollers, and Spin Class are good things to do when it gets dark and nasty out.  (I’ll let you know how that goes.)  I’m not terribly fond of the “hamsterbike,” but when the alternatives are inactivity, or extreme cold, it starts to look pretty attractive.

Spin Classes turn out to be an amazing amount of fun.  I never expected that, but it’s true.

And we can always look forward to the challenge of Spring riding, with its chancy and changeable weather conditions.  I, for one, can hardly wait for the first Audax Tune Up!

Here’s a possibility:  Some years ago, I attempted a thing I called a Spin Master Class.  I think the name needs some work.  Possibly the words “Expert” or “Advanced” should be substituted in.  The idea was that once a week, those of us who were interested, could meet for a supplemental Spin Class.  I chose to do this very early in the day, on Saturdays.  For those looking for a more intense exercise session, to supplement the “regular” classes, this was the E-ticket Ride.

Details:  Meet once a week.  Small additional fee for class.  A workout much like the ones in the “regular” classes, but with more emphasis on cardio intensity intervals and active recovery.  Workout to last about one hour.

I’m interested to know if any of you have a serious interest in something like this.  Let me know by email, or comment to this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment