Monday, December 6, 2010

Ride Report: Where is everybody?


Yesterday was the first of this season’s Dawn Patrol rides.  According to plan, we would meet at the Fayetteville IHOP, and start riding at 05:00.

I set up everything, made my preparations the night before, and went to bed early.  I got up and got geared up for a cool and dark ride.  I rode over to the IHOP, and arrived at 04:51.  No one was in the parking lot.  I orbited and stood until 05:05.  By then I figured that anyone who was going to show, was there.  I counted.  There was exactly one rider.  Me.  And the wind was picking up.

So I started riding.

Yes, it was a bit on the cool side.  I think the temp at ride time was around 40 degrees F.  The wind was strong and steady from the north, wo there was a significant chill factor.

It was dark.  Virtually no traffic was moving through the silent streets.

There were a lot of clouds overhead, so the temps didn’t drop much.  It was good to ride alone.  I had a lot of thinking time available, and I didn’t need to adjust my pace to match any other riders.  I would have liked to have some company, but I was content to be out there alone.

A bit before 07:00, the sky started to lighten up.  At just after 07:30, I was treated to an incredible sunrise.  Lots of clouds, but a lot of color, and a burst of clear sunshine just at the dawn.  The coffee, at Starbucks was hot and very good.  More, there was the usual commentary.  “How long have you been riding?”  And,  “Isn’t it cold out there?”  And,  Why?

Maybe next time, I’ll have some company.  It would be nice.  These are challenging rides, but they are fun.

By the way, the post ride pancakes tasted fantastic.

NOTES: 
Please see tomorrow’s post for a wrap on the Toys for Tots project.
More Training Info will be available in Wednesday’s post.




No comments:

Post a Comment