Monday, September 6, 2010

Holiday Stuff


So it’s Labor Day.  No, I’m not about to go into a long rant either Pro or Anti the subject of Labor Day.  Others have beat that one to death.  Frankly, I don’t much care why we take this as a holiday.  I’m simply glad that it is, and that I work for nice folks who observe it.  It’s a day off, with a good chance of good weather.

When I was a kid, Labor Day had a different meaning.  It meant that it was time to go back to school.  That didn’t make it my favorite holiday.  Now, at this point in time, kids return to the classroom in early August.  So for them, Labor Day is a welcome break.  It certainly is for me.

I’ll be doing what I like.  That means, I go out and ride my bike.  Likely, I will do so without a definite plan in mind.  Seems to me that this holiday is a good one to dedicate to just rambling, aimlessly, and seeing what there is to be seen.

There is one particular form of observance that Labor Day marks for me, and I suggest it to any cyclist.  This is the beginning of the Maintenance and Project Season.  I’ll take some time tomorrow to explain that.  Why wait until tomorrow?  Because I am going to go celebrate Labor Day now.  Mostly by not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment