Monday, December 21, 2009

Greet Winter ~ It’s a great time to ride!

It’s officially Winter! I just about haven’t seen cyclists since Thanksgiving. Why?
Before I go further, a personal disclosure is in order. I don’t like Winter. I love warm weather. I love sunshine. I actually enjoy riding in the rain… If it’s warm rain! I resent having to suit up like a Navy hard-hat diver to go for a bike ride. (For a hint about that reference see the movie Men of Honor.) I like the carefree, let’s just go and ride type of weather.
  • You know..? I wrote the above before I went out riding on Sunday. It’s interesting. I saw a fair number of folks on bikes. There was the crowd of about 30 race-kit wearing roadies, who blew the stop sign on Lees Mill road and then packed up and blocked a lane and a half of the road. (Shame on all of you!) There were a fair number of singletons and a few triathletes south of PTC in the afternoon Sunshine. But the one who most impressed me was the man I met over at the Pavilion shopping center. He wasn’t in bike clothes, and the bike wasn’t much to look at, but he had ridden there to do the incidental grocery shopping. Bravo!
Having said all that, let’s make a bit of a case for riding in Winter. First off, the air carries a lot less junk than in the warmer months. (This goes a long way to make up for the constant runny nose that attends cold weather riding.) Winter days have their charm about them. Once the holidays are past us, there is a lot less traffic on the roads. There is a great sense of accomplishment to be had from going out and riding when others won’t.
Besides, we don’t have it all that bad here. Yes it gets cool, and yes we are having one mean and nasty wet Winter. It’s still ridable. We are not faced with the challenges that northern tier riders contend with. I honestly do not have a clue how to survive a Chicago Winter on a bike, but I know it is done.
The basic secret is layering and the judicious use of chemical hand and foot warmers. Add to that a little old fashioned gumption, and you are ready to go.
Do consider this, it’s easier to do a short ride than a longer one. For the first couple of hours the cold doesn’t really get to you, and you are making a significant amount of heat. It takes a while before the chilly fingers start to nibble at your toes and fingers.
Try it. For that matter, try it tonight... On the Christmas Lights Road Ride.
You might make a happy discovery.

2 comments:

  1. I put my 'cross tires back on and hit the trails. Just seems a little warmer when you go a little slower...

    ReplyDelete