Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fixed Gear Project ~~ A progress report

“How is all that fixed gear stuff going?”
I get that question a fair amount. One way to answer would be to say that my “stable” now includes two single speed bikes, and three fixed gear ones. I ride the singlespeeds regularly on weekly path rides.
I’ve found that regular riding on the fixies and SSs has improved my power development, increased my cadence, and taught me the meaning of humility.
Intangibles: That surge of immediate smooth acceleration. The kick of controlling a descent or deceleration or a descent with the legs. The silence. The simplicity.
I’ve done my commutes on a fixie. One of the benefits of that is the trip up “The Beast” on Flat Creek Trail. It’s humbling. But then too, when I can climb that thing, with my full commuting load, I know I’m getting into shape!
In short, my fixies and singlespeeds challenge me. They make me work harder. They give me joy. It’s working!

No comments:

Post a Comment