Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday Follies ~~ The Deal too Good to be True


I once bought one of those near mythical “fantastic used bikes that sold for a mere fraction of their worth.”  Here’s how it worked.

I was made aware of the deal by an acquaintance of a friend of a friend.  Seems this nice elderly lady had been recently widowed.  She was getting rid of a lot of stuff that her dear departed husband had accumulated.  She was selling his “nice” road bike, and she only wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it.  She didn’t want much for it.  It was reputed to be an extremely nice bike.

Since the lady was nearby, living in a condo, and it was fairly convenient, I agreed to go take a look at it.  I had the time available.

The bike was amazing!  To begin with, it was my size.  It looked shiny.  The wheels showed a good bit of use on the brake surfaces.  The tires were middling quality and somewhat worn.  But the bike was incredibly clean.  The frame was an all carbon model, produced by a very noteworthy Italian company.  It was equipped with the, then fairly new, Campagnolo Record 10 speed group.

I inspected it.  Twisted things.  Lifted the rear and shifted it through it’s range by kicking the pedals around while I worked the shifters.  I pulled the brakes.  All seemed very functional.

The lady didn’t rightly know how much to ask for the bike.  Would $500 be too much?  Like an idiot, I actually bargained her up!  I did not want to take undue advantage of a widow, and this thing was then going for around $5000, new.  She just couldn’t take more than $1200 for it.  We agreed on that price, and I walked out with the bike.

I propped the bike in my home shop and went on about my business.  It wasn’t until two days later that I put the bike in a stand to pull the wheels and replace the tires.  While it was sitting in the stand, I noticed a bit of something liquid around the bottom bracket.  Nasty, reddish brown liquid.  I wiped it off and continued.  As I removed the rear wheel, I heard a bit of a slosh.  Slosh?

I shook the bike in the stand.  Definitely.  Sloshing.

I got out my Campy tools and pulled the crank.  It was extremely hard to remove.  As soon as I got the crank off, I could see why.  The bottom bracket was a Shimano pattern.  (For the uninitiated, Shimano bottom brakets are not compatible with Campagnolo anythings.)  On closer examination, the chainring bolts on the crank were badly buggered up, and the chainrings were not Campy.

After a bit of struggle, I managed to get the bottom bracket out.  It was a Shimano, and the very lowest end of their line.  As I took the thing out, something like two cups of water poured out of the frame.  Worse, as I applied torque to remove the bottom bracket, a crack appeared in the frame paint.  That crack widened and shot up the frame’s downtube.  Not good.

Total to that point.  Campy crank, ruined.  Crappy chainrings.  Lousy bottom bracket.  Frame, broken and not repairable.

In the next few days, I had the Campy shifters off of the “bike too good to be true.”  They mostly disintegrated as I inspected them on the bench.  The rear brake seized up, due to the pivot bolts being overtightened.  That had obviously been done to conceal that fact that the bushings were completely worn out.  The headset was rusted to the point of uselessness.  The handlebars had a bad crack under the bar tape.  One wheel collapsed when I tried to true it.

I tried to contact the nice lady.  It wasn’t easy.  When I did get in touch with her, she was adamant about not refunding any of my money.  I pressed the issue, saying I would be over to see her that afternoon.

It turned out that the “nice old lady” (whose last name ended in a vowel) had a “nice young son,” and two “nice young nephews.”  These three gentlemen each weighed in around 250, and were employed by a large multinational corporation headquartered in Sicily.  Their job title was “corporate relations and policy enforcement.”  I had plans that involved keeping my knee caps intact, so I gave up on that front.  I’d been taken.  That bike had been “rigged,” and done so in an expert fashion.  And I’d been played like a brook trout.

I’m often reminded of some wisdom my father imparted years ago.  “A con requires two things of the mark, a bit of dishonesty and a bit of greed.”  I fell for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment