Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday Follies ~~ Road Less Taken


I like to explore.  I have always had this urge to go into places I’ve not been into before, just to see what’s there.  This tendency has caused me a fair amount of grief, gotten me into bits of trouble here and there, resulted in any number of practical and useful discoveries, and occasionally delivered delightful surprises.  As a young kid, I would poke into any closet, climb up any attic stairway, scramble into crawlspaces, follow rabbit tracks into hedges, climb ladders, climb trees, go just about anywhere that looked interesting, curious, and possibly somewhat inaccessible.  As I grew older, I simply expanded the scope.  To this very day, I am quite happy to poke into any odd passage, roadway, or byway.  Often my explorations lead to dead ends, but there are surprises and delights even there.

I went through a period when driving seemed like the most important thing in the world to me.  I was as car-crazy as any other American boy.  Wheels.  Engines!  Go!  Of course that sort of restricted my travel too, though I didn’t realize it at the time.  I got over that initial intoxication with automotive things, and once mounted on a bike again, started finding places to go that cars just didn’t seem to take me to.  Cars were for going to places that were important, not for idly messing about and exploring.

Oddly, I found a lot of routes, shortcuts, and practical alternatives that could be used when driving.  I found most of these while mounted on a bicycle.  Then there were the surprises that could only be used on a bike.

I’d been aware of the “interesting road” for several years.  I’d first seen it when driving my siblings to the swim club. I spotted it as I drove by.  There was no street sign or route sign on it.  It didn’t look like a residential road, and it didn’t look much traveled.  It had one more attraction.  It led toward the mountains.

I should explain that last statement a bit.  In the Shenandoah Valley, there are a lot of roads that are out in the valley proper.  Some of these wander around in towns or out into farm land.  There are big primary roads that run north-south along the valley.  There are a few roads that run east-west and cross the mountains.  But when you are in “The Valley,” and you are approaching the mountains, small roads that go toward the mountains tend to peter out.  There are occasional exceptions.

It took me several years to get around to the “interesting road.”  I had reached that transition in my life that led me away from motor transport, and toward bicycles again.  On this particular afternoon, I was riding my “do everything road bike.”  I had gone out in the early morning to accomplish a Saturday errand, and was returning by a different route, one I had driven many times before, but had never ridden on.  I had just had the thought,  “That interesting road should be around here somewhere.”  No sooner had I thought that, than I spotted it, to my left, ahead.  I didn’t even think about the decision, I simply made the turn onto the road.  I fully expected this road to travel back into the woods a bit, and then end.

The pavement was immediately rougher than the main road, not terrible, but obviously not recently maintained.  The road took a bend, passed several houses, and then took another bend.  At this second bend the surface became rougher.  In the next half mile, the road surface continued deteriorating.  I came to an intersection.  The road to the right came to a visible ending about a hundred yards away.  It just stopped, with a stand of large trees beyond it.  I cast down the left hand road.  After about a mile, it too ended in a large, rough, overgrown clearing.

I went back to the intersection and followed the original road, deeper into the woodland.  Within a mile it had turned into mostly gravel and potholes.  I rounded a curve and could see the road ending ahead, coming to a stop at a huge bare dirt slope.  Just before the end of the road, I spotted another, even older road leading off to my left.  This one was barely more than some heavily weed covered double track.

I turned and headed up into the leafy tunnel.  I was climbing immediately.  It didn’t take me much time to be riding past the dirt embankment.  I looked out over an incredible landscape.  Huge holes in the earth, massive dirt piles.  (I would come back to that fascinating wasteland on many future exploration trips.)  I was passing an old quarry of some kind.  (I never did find out what had been quarried, or mined, there.  During this stretch the double track route was mostly level, but that changed.

The double track turned away from the quarry and started ascending in earnest.  It rose, and twisted, then started going up in a series of switchback turns.  There were occasional short flat stretches on the old road as it rose.  Likely this was an old wagon track, and these “flats” were cut into it to allow draft horses to rest.

I got to a place where one side of the double track was deeper and much lower than the other.  The deeper side was less overgrown too.  At some time this might have been an old fire access road.  It had obviously been used by hikers of some kind, but not much else.  In some places there were good sized trees growing right up out of either track.  It had been a long long time since any kind of wagon or car had traveled here.

I kept working the old road bike higher.  At times I had to get off and push.  Some places I had to get through by carrying the bike.  Always upward.

As I neared the top of the mountain ridgeline I was rewarded with a “find.”  From the state of the vegetation around me, and the sound of passing cars ahead of me, I knew that I was inside the Shenandoah National Park, and was approaching the Skyline Drive.

Abruptly, I broke out of the trees and underbrush.  There, ahead of me, was a stone archway, carrying the Skyline Drive, over this old wagon track.  That told me that, back during the Depression, when the Works Progress Administration was building the Skyline Drive, this track had been a road that was still utilized.  The WPA had seen fit to bridge over the old road, without connecting “The Drive” to it.  I rode on grass, through the archway, and across the grassy verge on the other side.  Sure enough, as I entered the woods again, I re-acquired the remnants of the old road.  Now it was down hill.  Steeply down!  (Do bear in mind; this was on a ten-speed, heavy steel, road bike, and a good ten years before mountain bikes had been invented.)

Going down was easier than going up had been, but only slightly so.  I was slowed a bit by simply losing control and falling off the side of the trail.  The flat tire also delayed me somewhat.

On this side of the mountain, the road/trail was a good bit less there.  I could barely see where one of the two tracks had once been.  The re-growth of trees and foliage was much more complete.  In some places I had to dismount and sort of pick my way through thickets, dragging the bike with me.  After a semi-eternity of bramble scratches and mosquito bites, I had worked my way well down the mountain.  Here the trail improved to a bit of a path, kind of like a game trail.

I was getting glimpses of civilization through the foliage.  I could see rooftops through the trees and brush.  I could hear lawn mowers.

The trail stopped against a thicket of dense foliage.  I dismounted and groped my way into it, struggled a bit, and…  emerged!  Right into a back yard.

It was a neat and tidy back yard.  The grass was closely trimmed and even.  There was a tidy house.  There was a man, presumably the owner, working in a small garden.  He looked up, astonishment clearly showing on his face, and cried out,  “Good grief!  Where did you come from!”

After a few mumbled words of explanation, I departed, and mounted the bike.  Rather than re-tracing my path over the mountain, I took to the road, and went around.  I never went all the way over the mountain that way again, although I did use the “interesting road,” and it’s ancient tributary, to climb up to the Parkway many more times.  I’m not sure I could find it again now.  Things change a lot with the passage of time.

It’s good to explore, and good to find.  I still do it, and always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment