Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday Follies ~~ The First Ever Commute


I’ve related some of this elsewhere and when.  Like many young men, I once thought I was “all that,” or the “next big thing.”  I’m referring to my abortive “career” in sanctioned road bicycle racing.  I catted up fast.  So (like so many young men before and since) I thought I was gonna be something.  Before I learned otherwise, I committed to the whole Idea.  I sold my car and bought a super-duper race bike.  My plan was that I would use the old bike as my vehicle.  This would give me more training time, and save me the necessity of paying for a car, and paying to put gas in it.

Books have been written covering what I did not know about utility cycling.

At that time, I was working a terrible job.  It was in a factory.  A very dirty, loud, dangerous factory.  I wasn’t getting paid much either.  I worked on the “graveyard shift.”  That meant I started work at 11:00 P.M. and left the plant at 7:30 A.M.  Shift workers fight a constant battle with sleep deprivation.  I don’t do sleep deprivation well.  That may have influenced some of my decisions.

The plant was about 20 miles from where I lived, most of it on rural roads.  I reasoned that I could ride the bike to work.  After all, I rode more than 20 miles on a routine basis.  In fact, I considered that a very short ride.

Short or not, it still took time.  I allowed my self a generous two hours for that first ride in to the plant.  That meant getting up at 7:00 P.M., eating, and getting ready to leave for work at 9:00.  I hadn’t considered the darkness factor.

I had absolutely nothing in the way of lights.  Sure, I had reflectors on the bike, but…

For the first couple of miles things went well.  I was in town.  It was late enough so that there wasn’t much in the way of traffic.  There were streetlights.  I really didn’t begin to have misgivings until I reached the edge of the town.

Suddenly it was dark.  Very dark.  More, I was at the top of a very long steep grade.  In moments the bike felt like it was going faster than I had ever gone, and I couldn’t see a stinkin’ thing!

At that time in my life I was young, immortal, invincible, and indestructible.  Even so, the idea of a crash did penetrate my forebrain.  I hit the brakes.  I continued to ride.  Actually, I continued to grope my way forward, at a pace only slightly greater than a walk.  In those days we didn’t have cyclocomputers.  I didn’t need one.  I knew this route well.  After an hour on the bike, I realized I was going to be late for work.  I’d only covered about six or seven miles.  No help for it.  Press on!

I was rescued.  A friend, who lived near me, and drove the same route to the same job, saw me.  He drove a battered VW van.  He stopped and picked me and my bike up.  Saved!

I entered into an arrangement with my friend.  I split the gas money for the inward commute.  Each night he picked me and the bike up.  I would then work my shift, and ride home in the morning.  This was not a perfect arrangement, but it worked.  For a while anyway.


2 comments:

  1. I remember my first commute in to work on a bike very well. I lived just under 20 miles the back way(county rd vs US) from my job at a lumber plant. I worked first shift, 7AM-3:30PM so I needed lights for the ride in too. I had only what could be described as a candle compared to today's lights, but it was good enough, and a rear blinkie. I'll always remember that day, the 6th of March 2006. It was cool, in the fifties, but there was the threat of rain. I started out without rain gear but it began to rain and I put it all on. I got hot and the rain stopped after a few miles so I took it off. I had no idea what time it was and only a vague idea of how far away I was(I rarely went the back way driving). It felt like I would never get there, but I did and was glad I rode in. I sprained my ankle pretty good that day soon after starting my shift. I still rode home(with an awesome 20+mph tailwind) but I took the next couple of mornings in with my Dad who drove the same way at basically the same schedule. The next week, I started riding both ways on the bike, and never looked back. I commuted 3 years to that job, always on the bike. Rode through some really bad weather and had some battles with dogs. Had a pretty spectacular crash one time due to hitting an unseen exhaust pipe in the road because of my super dim light. It felt like an adventure every day and I don't regret doing it. Now my commute is only 5.5 miles round trip and I barely get warmed up before arriving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Yes! I'm with you all the way. Each trip to, or from, work is an adventure. The days I ride in are the best days I have. Thanks for sticking with it, and thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete