Wednesday, June 1, 2011

“Settling In” for the Summer, But…


Usually, by Memorial Day, I’ve pretty well completed the annual Vernal Evolution.  The VE is my private term to describe the turnover from Winter riding and equipment, to the Summer style.  That means that almost all Winter ride gear is in storage, and my schedule has shifted around to the Summer one.  By the end of May, our climate is generally done with all things Winter.  A few jackets suffice.  Lights are rarely needed.  The fuzzy warm socks can be stored.  Heavy gloves are not necessary.  Light rain jackets are about the extent of the foul gear requirement.

This year, I’m not so sure…  That blast of March weather, right in the middle of May shook me a bit.  And I have seen this climate produce some amazingly cool Junes.

Ordinarily, by this time, my riding volume would be larger and growing.  Not so much this year.  It happens.  Every now and again things occur to present us with challenges.  This is the “Life happens while you are making other plans,” effect.

In my case, I’m doing some pretty serious house work.  I’m painting the whole house.  Which means the yardwork is falling behind too.

Available evidence indicates that cyclists, as a group, tend to be world class procrastinators.  We’ll do almost anything to go for a ride.  Forget to pick the laundry up.  Put off washing the dishes.  Defer cleaning the lint trap.  Many of us even skip bike maintenance in favor of riding.  I guess I’m not all that different.  I’ve been known to tell my wife that it’s too hot to cut the grass…  And then saddle up for a 100 mile ride.

But every now and then, something of import intrudes on the riding life.  Like a house that simply must be maintained, in an expensive and time consuming fashion.  Sure, this drudgery will end.  (I keep telling myself that!)  Life will get back to “normal,” and I will return to the level of riding that I enjoy.  It’s just going to be a bit longer.  Grr.

No comments:

Post a Comment