Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Repurposed Bike (discussion)

The Repurposed Bike (discussion)

Why?  (Please refer to last Wednesday’s post )  I know that question is being asked.  The answer is not quite so straightforward.

When a customer is considering a new bike purchase, I often give the following advice.  “Buy the 80% bike.”  That means purchase a bicycle that is a close match to 80% of the customer’s intended usage.  Usually the customer will find that that 80% is closer to 95%.  A lot closer.  Further, there is almost always a bike on the market that exactly matches that usage requirement.

The question could be asked:  Why am I not taking my own advice?  Well…

The overwhelming majority of road bikes on the market are closely inspired by racing machines.  That is not necessarily a bad thing.  But it doesn’t make them good for my purposes.  I want clearance for fenders, and enough braze-on eyelets for racks and fenders.  It’s extremely difficult to find a bike with those characteristics.

“Surely there are tourists on the market that would suit?”  Well, there are tourists available.  They are intended to be loaded tourists.  They come with two problems.  They tend to be heavy and expensive.  (NOTE:  I already have a tourist.  I do use it as a commuter on occasion.  It’s not ideal.)  Tourists are heavy because they are built to carry the rider and a load, and do so while taking a beating.  This is less a problem with a tourist.  In the case of loaded touring, the bike is usually the lightest part of the total load.  (Rider + 80 lbs of gear + bike = total load)  I’m not looking for a super-lightweight here, but I don’t want a “lead sled” either.

Many bike manufacturers have presented commuter/utility bicycles.  That’s good to see.  But they don’t quite fit my commuting style.  Most of these bikes are variations on a flat-bar, comfort bike, or sport-hybrid theme.  They are too upright and too…  Well, too flat-bar.  They are generally ideal for short trips in an urban environment.  That doesn’t quite describe me.  My commute varies from 12 to 18 miles one way.  I may make side trips to pick up groceries or run other errands.  I climb a lot of hills.  I’m out in all kinds of weather.



It has been a very long time since I bought a bike specifically to alter it and make it into something else.  Here’s the bike in question. 
The (soon to be) Repurposed Bike


It’s a Giant Escape 1.  At least it is for now.  I think this is gonna work out.  You’ll see it develop.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment