Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Self Reliance vs Compassion


I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.”  Tennessee Williams

Sometimes it seems as if a whole lot of our brother and sister cyclists live by that old T. Williams quote.  No tools.  No spares.  No pump.  Insufficient water and food.  Sound like anyone you know?  What happened to the Scout Motto?  Where is “Be Prepared”?  This is tolerable if the individual in question is a “new chum.”  For that matter, isn’t it incumbent on all of us to help bring the newbies along?  But on the matter of carrying your stuff…

On the one hand, we cyclists are not thick on the ground.  We need to look out for each other.  On the other, we have a responsibility to be somewhat self reliant.  It is simply not fair or appropriate to expect others to “cover” for us.

Personally, I’ll help out a stranded cyclist.  I’ll give a guy a tube, I’ll share food, and I’ll even share my water.  But I will not carry these items for another rider.  Anyone can get caught short… once.  But let us not fall into the arrogant trap of “depending on the kindness of strangers.”


No comments:

Post a Comment