Monday, November 22, 2010

Weirdness & A look Ahead:


Here’s the weirdness.  This past weekend, I was completely off the bike, and away from just about all forms of exercise.  While unusual for me, a long weekend with no exercise isn’t all that weird.  The strange part is that I do not feel rested.  My legs feel much more worn out than if I actually rode or worked.  I don’t know the physiology of this sensation.  Perhaps, it’s more a psych thing.  I do know I’d be more rested if I’d been a bit more active.

Looking Ahead:  We have several rides and events coming up.  In addition to the ones I am promoting, I’d suggest that you go to the Southside Cycling Club website.  There are a lot of good rides posted on a weekly and monthly basis, and more being added frequently.  I’d expect to see a few more seasonal activities showing up at almost any time.  (See tomorrow’s post for some words on group rides.)

The Christmas Lights Rides:  These are not powerfully athletic rides.  The pace is fairly gentle, by design.  (That said, if you are planning to do these, and are new to it all, you might consider sticking to the Christmas Lights Path Ride on 22 December.)  Festive attire is okay, but let’s consider safety and comfort first. 
On safety:  Don’t do anything that interferes with your ability to see, and avoid wearing or carrying anything that could get tangled in your spokes or driveline.
            On Comfort:  Dress for the weather.  We have no way of knowing what the temps will be like on those two nights.  Watch the weather and dress accordingly.  Bear in mind, it will get cooler while we are out.

The Penance 100:  If you have been “century ready” at any time in the last two months, and you manage to do a moderate amount of riding (Spin Classes included) you should be good to go.  If you’ve never done a Century, I would not suggest this one for your first.  Remember, this will be a self supported ride, with no SAG.



No comments:

Post a Comment