Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thursday Thoughts ~~ Thanksgiving and Lists


I like lists.  When I was a kid, it was a tradition in our house to make our “Christmas Lists” on Thanksgiving.  We were encouraged (required) to make two lists.  One was a compilation of the stuff we wanted to get on Christmas Day.  The other was a list of people we intended to give presents to, and the things we wanted to get for them.  I’ve sort of continued that through the years.  Of course, along about now we are subjected to a lot of other listings, things urging us to remember what we should be thankful for.  That’s a good one too.

In the spirit of that tradition, I’d like to present a couple of those lists.

What I want for Christmas:
  • A new bike.  Did you expect anything else?  Seems like that’s always been on my lists.
  • To see everyone I know happily employed.
  • Lots of moderate weather this Winter.
  • Long rides with good friends, old and new.
  • A really good, inexpensive front derailler that works.
  • Cleaner bikes to work on.
  • Lots of disposable gloves, because I work on a lot of dirty bikes.
  • Everyone riding a bike, at least three times every week.
  • Kinder treatment at the hands of motorists on the road.
  • Better road behavior from my cycling friends.
  • Chains that don’t wear out.
  • Tires that last a lot longer.
  • A real working light sabre (like in Star Wars)
  • Six really sweet mountain bike trips this year.
  • Two or three good long tours this year.
  • To be able to find my favorite shorts on little notice.
  • A good long dry Summer to ride in.
  • Lots of rain for the plants, farms, and mountains (just not so much when I’m riding.)
  • Some epic climbs and descents.
  • Real, cheap space travel, a vacation on Mars!  (I hear the riding in 1/6 G is great!)
  • A riding season with no crashes please.  (That means for me and everyone else.)
  • Less traffic.
  • Smooth roads.
  • More commuting  (me and others, and on the bike, please)
  • Just a bit of common sense here and there.
  •  

Things to be Thankful for:
  • Living in the United States of America
  • Living in Georgia
  • A sweet road bike
  • Problems, they are opportunities
  • Many many riding friends
  • Many good friends
  • People who challenge me
  • Plenty to eat
  • A good house to live in
  • Meaningful work
  • Technical cycling clothing  (I remember wool shorts!)
  • All the geniuses who invent really cool stuff that we need
  • Wonderful medicines and doctors
  • For not knowing one person that I would call an enemy
  • Long rides
  • Short rides
  • Cold rides
  • Hot rides
  • Lonely rides
  • Big rides with lots of people
  • Mountain bike trails
  • Long country roads
  • Friendly honest people
  • All of you.



No comments:

Post a Comment