Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Old “Fire Engine Horse”


I pulled the old and decrepit road bike out of the corner of the home shop.  I assembled a hodge-podge collection of parts, and built the thing up as a “trainer bike.”

It doesn’t have brakes.  It’s equipped with bar end, friction shifters.  It will never see the road again.  The “rig” has only one purpose, to keep me up and let me exercise on a trainer.  I wouldn’t even trust it on a set of rollers.  But it will serve for this coming Winter season.

But you know what?  It feels good to mount the old friend.  This frame has well over 100,000 miles on it.  It’s climbed mountains, ridden deserts, been rained on, frozen, and completed something like 30 brevets.  It has hauled me around as a commuter, and taken me touring.  It has even been raced a few times.

Some how, I can not let the old girl die.  So we’re together again, on a trainer, for a Fall and Winter of indoor training.  I expect I’ll put her “out to pasture” sometime soon.  But not yet.  We both have work to do.  It is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment