Thursday, April 29, 2010

Thursday Thoughts: Back in the Saddle ~ So to Speak


Last week was kind of spotty for posting.  ‘Fraid it’s been that way this week too.  Some of you have gotten used to regular posting on this blog, and I thank you.  You noticed that I was mostly absent.  I appreciate the concern.  No, I haven’t gone anywhere.  It was just an incredibly intense week or so.

There are big “doings” at the shop.  Most of that is backstage, but it has its affect.  Mark is, gradually, withdrawing from an active role in the business.  The shop is looking for a buyer.  That generates a lot of concern.

At the same time, my personal life got a bit complicated.  Nothing serious.  In fact a lot of it was happy and fun.  But it was all time consuming.

So April is almost over, and Bike Month is upon us.  The triathlon season (which started in 1897) is in full swing.  (You may have noticed a few more folks on those “bendy over bikes,” out on Robinson road, gripping their aerobars, and being fast.)

One of the seasonal questions I get asked is,  “What are you doing for Bike Month?” 

The honest answer would be,  “I’m turning wrenches, fixing bikes, and riding.

It’s the simple truth.  With Bike Month looming ahead, and Bike Ride Across Georgia, early next month, the weather getting sweeter, events galore, and of course the aforementioned triathlons, things have gotten a bit busy in the service department.

Outside of business hours, I lead rides, and I ride.  I ride into work a lot.  I manage to get on my bike for a lot of other stuff.  Which brings me to the focus of this post.

BIKE MONTH:  AN AGENDA
  • Get on your bike.
  • Get on your bike regularly.
  • Do something useful on your bike.
  • Use your bike instead of your car.
  • Attend the Ride of Silence.



Ride of Silence: 

Wed. May 19, 2010.  7:00 PM.  Peachtee City Hall.  12 miles.  1 hour.



Worldwide Ride To honor those who have been injured or killed while cycling on public roadways.  We'll have a brief discussion before the ride, then ride in silence slowly thru the city streets, and afterwards regroup at Partner's Pizza for food & socializing.

Locally, we have had 9 reported bicycling accidents in PTC within the last five years with half sustaining injuries or death.


No comments:

Post a Comment