Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Trip That Didn’t Happen

I’m fairly “weather tolerant.” I will ride in a lot of conditions. That said, I bailed on this past weekend’s North Triple Gap Ride. So did everyone else. Why? The weather stank. It was cold, very rainy, and windy. I did go out and ride on Sunday afternoon. Again, the weather stank, but at least it was local, and not mountainous.
This seems to happen to me about every other year. I’ll attempt a trip to the southern Smokies just a bit too late, or too early. The ride gets cancelled.
I love riding up there, but weather is a serious consideration. There was one year when I pushed things a bit too far. I got caught, in what is sometimes called a “wintery mix.” I was climbing Wolf Pen Gap, in sleet, ice, and a bit of freezing rain. I won’t bore you with details, but I got out, and I was lucky to do so.
I often wish I was closer to the mountains. The problem is that it’s over 100 miles to Helen, GA. About a third of the roads to get there are kind of poor. I’m not happy about the thought of possibly getting into trouble that far from home. I’m even less happy about the risk of getting someone else into that kind of predicament.
I urge folks, always make your own decision. I do tend to push for “when in doubt, go.” But considered caution should be the watchword. Safety first.
There will be other days, and other rides. We will go north and do the “North Triple,” but it will have to wait until next year.
Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment