Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Planting the Seed of an Idea

Here’s a thought. Every time I’ve ridden on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I’ve had an incredible time. Many of those times have been awesome adventures, or truly epic rides.
I’ve done a lot of them. But I’ve never ridden the entire Parkway, and I’ve never done it at one time. So think on this. What about a tour of the entire Parkway, north to South?
It’s possible to take Amtrak from Atlanta to Charlottesville, VA. The cost is a bit over $100 for one person. Allowable in the fare is 50 pounds of checked luggage, and 50 pounds of carry on.
The Charlottesville Amtrak station is just 21 miles from Rockfish Gap, the northern entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway. An easy ride once the bike is assembled. (Remember that checked luggage?)
The Parkway is 469 miles from Rockfish Gap to Cherokee, Ga.
Tourists would have to leave the Parkway for lodging and services.
To do this at an enjoyable pace, taking time to sightsee, and explore, we would have to plan on doing the trip in 7 to 10 days.
We would have to promote rides home from Cherokee at the end of the tour.
Think late Summer or early Fall of 2010.
Does this sound interesting?

2 comments:

  1. One day... when all the children are grown... I can DREAM! That sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just dreaming about this very thing the other day when my Dad brought me a bunch of Blue Ridge Parkway literature! I am VERY interested!!!!!

    Cindy Whitley

    ReplyDelete