Wednesday, September 17, 2008

WHAT IF’S

I get a lot of these questions about these Audax 200K rides at about this point in preparing for them. So I’m attempting to answer them in advance.

Q: What if it rains?
A: We ride.
Q: What if it’s cold?
A: We ride.

Q: What if it’s hot?
A: We ride.

Q: What about thunder and lightening?
A: If they’ve paid their $27.00 and they’re wearing their helmets they can come along too.

Q: Seriously. What about thunderstorms?
A: Seriously. We ride.

Q: I’ve never ridden that far. I’ve done the training, but I don’t know if I can do it.
A: If you never ride 125 miles, then you will never ride 125 miles. You can do it.

I promise, you won’t melt. If the weather is truly horrendous, we’ll get off the road until it passes. This is very unlikely. Heat is more bearable on the bike. Drink lots. Cold is more bearable on the bike. You work harder, you get warmer. If you’ve been doing even half of the training I’ve suggested, you should be okay. If you’re still in doubt, come out and do the Tune Up this weekend.

And lastly, most of these questions come from fear of the unknown. Honest, it’s normal, and it’s alright. Do you know get over a very tall obstacle? Throw your heart over the bar first, and your body will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment