Monday, September 29, 2008

COMMENTS ANSWERED

Ooops!

Folk, it has always been my intention to respond to comments on this blog. I just slipped up late last week.

Arcelay posted two very cogent questions.

First: "What would be a good eating plan to follow at T-48 hours? T-24 hours? T-2 hours?"

Here’s the best take I can give you on this. Eat well, but don’t try to over-eat to offset future needs. The body doesn’t work like that. I wouldn’t get deep into experimenting at this late date. Two days before ride time, stick with a balanced diet, eating foods that you know work for you. The same pretty much goes for the last 24 hours before a ride. Don’t get hungry, but don’t try to “pre-fuel” or “carbo load.” These things mostly don’t work.

That last one is pretty tricky. At two hours before the ride, you should be eating a good solid breakfast. This is the time to go for a bit more carbohydrate, relative to the fats and proteins. Don’t skimp on the proteins either. Your muscles will be working, and the process of supporting and rebuilding takes proteins. But your primary interest is about 500 to 600 calories total, with around 60% of it in carbs.

The second question I missed was; "Steve…. So what would be good things to bring with us besides the obvious (tubes, air/gas pump, snacks, wind vest or jacket, sun screen, chamois cream, tools)?"

Here’s the best answer I can give you. Leave the pump, inflators, and tools at home. I’ll take care of that. The other items that you mentioned pretty well cover your needs.

In additon, you should carry a little cash for snacks and such along the way.

If you take meds, by all means bring them! But understand this, I am not a doc. If you have medical issues, get your doctor’s advice. I have a fair degree of experience, and I’m pretty good at first aid, but if you start foaming at the mouth, or going into a case of the twitching awfuls, I am not really going to know what to do, other than call 911.

You might want to bring a small light camera. (The photos can be used for evidence.)

I doubt you will have time to finish that novel you’ve been reading, so leave it at home.

By all means bring your good attitude, your best cooperation, your finest smiles, a good joke or two, and the anticipation of a long happy day with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment