Wednesday, August 21, 2013

De-Re-Purposing


Everything has a beginning and an end.  Long time readers will remember my “Re-Purposed Bike” project.  If not, or if you are new to this blog, you can check these posts for the original low down.

First discussion of the “Re-purposed Bike”

I revealed the bike for the project HERE.

Discussed the project in some detail HERE.



All that was well and good.  But that final rollout was almost two years ago.  And yet again things have changed.  Part of the reason that I was looking for a commuter/utility specific bike was that I had given/traded/sold almost all of my means for heavy commuting.  I was doing the commutes, but I was doing them no my road bike, whilst supporting the load in big heavy bags, on my back!  (I am a firm believer that the bike should be the “beast of burden.”  One has to provide the power to move the load.  One should not have to expend energy to support it too!


It’s been a good time with the re-purposed Giant Escape.  I’ve lead roadie rides on it.   I’ve done gravel grinding.  I’ve explored lots of new unpaved routes on that bike.  I’ve hauled groceries.  I’ve also done one heckuva lot of commuting with it.  Now it’s time to restore the bike to it’s original configuration and sell it.

NOTE:  Part of my intent in building that bike was to have ready and available a “walk up and ride it bike.”  That is a bike that would not require any special clothing, shoes, or other preparation.  The original configuration had dual use pedals to go along with a forgiving saddle, and a relaxed riding position.  Turns out, I have so incorporated cycling in my life, I didn’t really need that capability.  I can transition to ride mode in a matter of minutes, and I’m pretty much comfortable riding for short distances in street clothing.  (In fact, I do this regularly, in my every day work.)

Here’s the Re-Purposed Escape in it’s current dress and trim.    

Re-Purposed Giant Escape 1 prior to it's last commute trip.


You may notice that it’s undergone a few changes and since it went into service in November of 2011.  Those minor mods include a different saddle and different panniers.  The antique Brooks saddle never worked well.  I just could not get fcomfortable on it.  The old “original” Schwinn panniers were a bit of a nuisance.  I was constantly dealing with “heel strike,” and they were not good for organizing my commuting loads.  Look closely, and you may notice some odd tabs on the handlebars.  These were part of another project, one that has been shelved for the time being.

In the near future, I’ll show the process of re-deconstrucing this bike back to it’s original configuration.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment