Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The ride that wasn’t and the one that was


For the first time in quite a few years I felt the need to cancel the annual Penance 100.  Turns out that was a good decision.  The forecast was extremely unfavorable.  All of my weather sources were in agreement about the day.  It would be raining all day long.  The temps would be in the 40s to low 50s.  That’s an evil combination.

I have long maintained that the most miserable conditions possible for a cyclist are 40 degrees and rain.  It’s a perfect combination for the hypothermia.  Add a really long ride, and one that takes the rider a good 50 miles away from home, and the recipe is complete.  There are just too many ways that a day like that can go horribly wrong.  And that is just the day we got.  So it was a good call.  But I wasn’t happy with it.

I was determined to start the year off with a riding day.  Just not the day I had originally planned.  Two of us set out at noon.  I was well attired for the conditions.  The bike had fenders.  I was wearing rain pants, good winter riding boots, a helmet cover, and a rain cape.  I was comfortable, even during the parts of the afternoon when the rain moved from “light” to ”downpour.”

My riding companion was similarly attired.  We didn’t talk much.  It wasn’t necessary, and rain riding requires a lot of concentration.  We rode in a companionable silence for most of the afternoon.  Our timing was excellent.  We finished just at the point where our rain gear was saturating and overloading.  The peanut butter and jelly sandwiches tasted like manna from above.  All in all it was a good way to start off a new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment