Monday, August 27, 2012

Ride Report: A Nearly Perfect Mountain Day


On Thursday last we went north to ride one of my favorite routes, the one I refer to as the “Original” Three Gap Ride.  There were twelve of us, a good number for such a day.  (I’m not going to name anyone, as I didn’t get everyone’s name.  You know who you are.)  Among that group were eight folks with experience in the mountains, and four complete newcomers.  All of the new riders completed the route in good order.  BRAVO!

Conditions First:  Of all the many times I have been up north, I cannot recall a more perfect day for the ride.  It was sunny all the way ‘round.  The temp started out in the high 50s, and rose gradually as we rode.  It did not break into the very low eighties until I actually slipped into the outskirts of Dahlonega on the return.  Gentle breezes there were, from time to time, but none of the fierce mountain gusts that can blow a rider across the road.  Traffic was light and courteous.  The foliage was green and lush.  In short, the conditions were as good as anyone could possibly ask.

Some of the road surfaces have deteriorated in recent years, but none were truly bad.  I for one, would like to thank all who came for sharing in, and for helping to make this, one excellent day!

No comments:

Post a Comment