Monday, December 19, 2011

A Primer: Blog Interactivity for Cyclists

I’ve become aware that there are several folks out there who are having trouble with the “comments” function on this blog.  These kind individuals have told me so, face-to-face.  I figure if there are one or two, then there are more.  After all, many of us are cyclists, and not internet wizards.

If you are one of the highly internet savvy types, you can just skip this, and read today’s regular post, which will be up in another 10 minutes or so.

For those of you who need help posting a comment, here’s a simple recipe:

  1. Go to the bottom of the post you are reading.  You will see several things, including a link to “Comments.”  (The word “comments” will be preceded by a numeral, indicating how many comments have been entered for that post.)  Click that link.
  2. You will see a box, where you may type your commentary.  Please do so.
  3. Now comes the tricky part.  You will see a dialog box below the comment box.  It says, “Select a profile…”  Go ahead and click it.  (If you try to hit “Publish” before selecting a “Profile,” you’re going to be prompted to select one.)  There are a bunch of different options displayed when you click the pull down for “Select a Profile.”
  4. If you already have an account with one of the choices, you may use it, but if this is new to you, or if you are a bit leery of it, just click “Anonymous.”
  5. Then click “Publish.”  That’s all there is to it.
  6. I can ear somebody saying,  “But what if I don’t want to be anonymous?”  That’s just fine.  You can sign your name (or a pseudonym) in the body of your comment.
  7. Once you’ve done all that, your comment should appear.


I want to have a dialog going on this blog.  I do want to hear from  you all.  I may not answer, but I do read all comments.  I find that questions, and commentary often give me material for new posts.  Just please, keep it clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment